Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Ah, St. Patrick's Day! - Diva Challenge #209 and more

So, here we are at St. Patrick's Day.  The wearing of the green.  Historically, this was a mid-Lenten feast day of the Church calendar that allowed consumption of meat, hence the corned beef and cabbage connection. Good Catholics were expected to go to church and pray, but a pint or two after Mass was lovely.  Today, it is the Irish American version of Mardi Gras - can't let those French types in New Orleans have all the fun, eh?

Now, I am not Irish, not even a tiny bit (unless someone back in Italy strayed from the fold somehow...), but as a born and bred Chicago girl, I know full well the major importance of this mini-Bacchanal that included multiple parades (sadly the infamous South Side one has been banned)with every politician in Chicago  marching along with the bagpipers, horses, costumed Irish dancing girls Chicago's famed Little People (hilarious - look them up sometime), beer, beer, green beer, and wearing green all day or there must be something wrong with you.  Don't think of wearing orange, as you could get beat up (for being a subversive Protestant supporter, don't you know).  Italians, you just wait a couple days and wear your red.  (St. Joseph's Day is an altogether different type of celebration involving fathers and every kind of yummy Italian pastry you can imagine.) But on St. Patrick's Day everyone is a little Irish (except maybe my dad, the eternal resistor).

Tonight we have our monthly Wine Club dinner in the Arizona "over-55" place where we live.  It's not specifically themed, but  I will be wearing my new green dress along with some saucy little St. Pat's tattoos my sister-in-law gave me.  No green beer but we will have fun anyway.

So today I meet the Diva's green challenge with something quick and fun.  A cross between Shamrocks (Sh'rocks) B'Twined on a trellis and the spring basket-like Cruze.  I added color with TomBow markers and a green metallic Gelly Roll pen.  Yep, I did green nails (they are green-er in real life) this week!



For the Square One: Purely Zentangle board, the focus tangle was OoF.  I bordered it with Akoya and punctured it with Black Pearlz.


Suzy Mosh's That's New To Me challenges.  I really had fun with the B challenge as I have been wanting to use Sandy Steen Bartholomew's Bollywood for a long time but never seemed to have the right vehicle.  When I looked at Helen Williams' Brax, I just started thinking of India and put them together. 
Week 11 Letter B - Brax and Bollywood
Week 10 Letter A - Akoya, Arcodos, Axlexa and Acrosstick

 I have begun a Zendala challenge.  This is something rather new for me (see my previous post), but I am going to try to continue.  This is a different skill and mindset, I think, and one I am anxious to develop further.
So, thanks for stopping by to see the results of my busy week.  All your comments are appreciated.  Happy St. Pat's!

18 comments:

  1. There are a lot of beautiful tiles to look at. Thank you for the pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are all very beautiful tiles. Really don't know which one I like best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love the nails. You'll be the belle of the ball. Tiles are all lovely too. I'm going to look into that zendala challenge. That sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time, and all the ladies loved my green nails. So did my hubby - a very fashion forward guy!

      Delete
  4. Your tiles are very beautiful. BUT …. gotta know …. how do you get that spinning photo cube up in the corner!!? That is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I used this widget: http://www.photocube3d.com/. It's pretty easy, and like you, I saw it on somebody else's blog and loved it!

      Delete
  5. Lots of great work, but I love the in and out of your challenge tile this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That was a very quick, fun tile to do. I tend to work, work, work at some of the others, which defeats the purpose, yes?

      Delete
  6. OK, you talked me into it. (such peer pressure!) I updated my post with my Zendala. Tell me what you think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did check yours out, and left you a comment. Very impressive!

      Delete
  7. All are beautiful! Wonderful colours in the first!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of beautiful tiles and the challenge one is stunning; I love the coloring and the nail :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having lived around Boston for over 20 years, I know St Patrick's Day is a BIG deal...and everyone is Irish :-) The nails are wonderful and fun and so are all your glorious tiles. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I especially like the layering in your Square One tile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your work this week is very inspiring as usual! I love coming to see what you've been up to. The bit of blue with the green challenge tile really adds dimension..love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work on all the challenges. Like the colors and tangles in your Diva Challenge tile. I like your Akoya. I have tried it a few times in my journal, but never in a tile. You did a nice job of getting the gradation. Mine never looks that good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely works all. I like the way the first two make me think of a specific thing; the first one is a window with a vine on it, the second one is pie. Your work has so much depth and dimension to it.

    ReplyDelete