Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Lazy Days of Summer: Diva Challenge #224 - Tipple, Square One Meer, That's New To Me #26 "N", New Tangle "Fichy"

Happy Birthday to Chewie - 7 years old and looking good!  Laura's photos of the backyard party are so great and bring back memories of the fun days of my own childhood.  By the time my girls were ready for parties, pizza and video games were the rage, or rent a hotel pool or some such.  I always loved the hanging out in the back yard and running around getting grass stains on my freshly ironed cotton dress (oops!)  My birthday is in the winter, so parties were mostly indoors, but we still got outside for snowballs, skating or sledding before digging into the cake and ice cream. One of my favorite parties (I may have been about 7) involved each girl (always segregated parties in those days) fashioning a fancy hat out of colored tissue paper and then we paraded up and down the block to show them off.  How we strutted!

I did have to chuckle at the photo of the boys frolicking with the hose to cool off...at 27 degrees Celsius, which translates to about 80 Fahrenheit.  Where I live now, that is almost winter!  The past couple weeks here have been hanging in at about 112F, which equates to 44.44C - I looked it up! Oh well, as my husband says, I never have to shovel that sunshine. 

So, happy summer!  At any temperature!

What better relaxing and effortless tangle for a summer day than Tipple?  Always a go-to to spice up some other tangle, this time we make it shine on its own.  As I read Laura's blog on Monday, I had a cup of my favorite morning beverage in front of me and as I looked down, guess what was there? 

Renaissance tile with gelly roll pens, Derwent Intense pencils and white chalk pencil.
 

 
 

The Square One focus for the week was Meer.  So many people did beautiful ribbons and folds with all kinds of embellishments - pearls, flowers, la-la-la!  I never quite get to that point.  So I just gave it a double wash across the tile and topped it with my new tangle, Fichy (step-out below), and tucked in a few Inapods.  While working on this tile, I had that familiar sense of disappointment that it didn't look like much.  When I started to add the shading, though, it all snapped into place and now I'm pretty well satisfied with this!  I think the lesson there is to go through the Zentangle process - the entire process - and see what you get.  I often surprise myself.



For Suzy Mosh's That's New To Me Week #26, we were to use tangles beginning with "N" that we have not used before and include any tangle by Neil Burley.  He is a prolific tangle-pattern creator, and has published a book of them.  I was able to download a copy.  The price is £3.50 GBPt with the current exchange rate, it is only $5.64, as opposed to about $8.00 when Neil first offered the book.  Well worth adding his beauties to your repertoire of tangles.  I used two of his in my previous work for the Beads of Courage challenge and the "D" TNTM challenge. 

Here, I have used Caren Mlot's Navaho, Beth Snoderly's Nuwave, and Neil Burley's Rokpool.  What I learned from this one - don't be afraid of the dark!  I added black fill and extra shading to get a result I liked.


NEW TANGLE!

Last week I tried out Tina Hunziker's lovely new tangle, Discolea.  Thank you, Linda Farmer, for your post about it and especially for pointing us to the tutorial on how to draw the Ogee grid.

I have avoided using patterns of that type because I can never control those wavy lines to make them line up.  But with the newfound skill I learned, here is what I did with Discolea,


I started experimenting with the grid and came up with a similar tangle, but one I think is different enough to warrant a new name.  If you look at the shapes, you will know why I named it Fichy - oh yeah!  There they are!
 
So, it has been a busy, good week.  Stay cool!
Thank your for stopping by and know that I cherish all your comments.
 
Namaste,
Antonine
 

23 comments:

  1. all your tiles are beautiful. your pattern "fichy" is very nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a lovely collection of work this week. I especially love your "Tipple" as I was inspired by the very same:-) Your pattern "Fichy" is great. I'm going to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your black discolea looks like jewellery, hanging pendants. All your tiles are lovely, but how clever to create your own tangle pattern. I like the look of Fishy and will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous Tipple Challenge Tile. Love all of your challenge Tiles in this Post. Thanks so much for your "Fichy" pattern. It is a winner. Wonderful, Antonine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tippled coffee! So many tangles look kind of "meh" until the shading does its magic. Love your Meer. And, I really like your new tangle too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your tiles are beautiful and I love your new tangle. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the tiles are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like fichy! I must learn it and use it in my tiles! Thanx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Fichy...I'll have to try it out. Nice work on all of these! You did a great job on your TNTM tile. Thanks for being part of the challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work! Love your Tipple tile, it looks very 'real'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun post - some great work here AND a new tangle to try! I am particularly 'drawn' to your Tipple tile....being the coffee addict that I am.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work. Like your Tipple tile. Also like your new tangle. Remember seeing it in a tile that you posted on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely tile!!!! It's quite hot here in the Netherlands now, Today it will be 39 C and last week on Tuesday it was so cold we had the central heating on in the evening. Weird weather.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, so many to see this week! All tile are beautiful! Especially I like the third one with the touch of red! Like your tangle "Fichy", too! It´s now on my To-Do-List!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Antonine, your Tipple is lovely ... the color makes is pop (subtle color). Your Square One is very pretty!! Your New to Me N is very elegant!! :) Thank you for that grid tip!! I find those hard too - but yours are lovely!! Wonderful new tangle!! I am putting it on our tangle boards under F :) :) :)

    ~ Diane Clancy
    http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2015/06/my-diva-monotangle-tipple-challenge-entry
    http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2015/06/new-to-me-n-artist-focus-neil-burley-suzymosh/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diane! Yes, Linda Farmer's tutorial on grids opened up a bunch of new possibilities for me! Great help!

      Delete
  16. Your tipple tile is wonderful - so creative! I like it (and I like coffee ;-))
    And I love your new pattern - I will try it soon :-) So cute.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the tangle process, and Rokpool in the centre of TNTM tile is perfect ;)
    Thanks for the mention, and good luck in the challenge draw.

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil! I love Rokpool, and yes, I did almost feel my pen was a chisel on wood!

      Delete
  18. Hello Antonine, I just tried out your new Fichy pattern and it was so much fun :-) I like this pattern, it's wonderful. If you want to have a look, my tile is here: http://sandrastangles.blogspot.de/2015/07/fichy-and-y-h.html :-)

    Many thanks for sharing your pattern and greetings from germany,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, thank you for trying out Fichy! I love what you did and I posted on your blog. So nice!

      Delete
  19. And here I am again! Just saw your new tangle done by Sandra and I have to say, I LOVE it. So much like Escher!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Tipple coffee cup is delightful! And your Meer looks so 3-dimensional - well done! I like Fichy, wasn't familiar with it; I've saved it to try sometime.

    ReplyDelete